Alison Benis White: Light on the Page

You're receiving this email because you are a DailyGood subscriber.
Trouble Viewing? On a mobile? Just click here. Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe.

DailyGood News That Inspires

August 1, 2023

a project of ServiceSpace

Alison Benis White: Light on the Page

Maybe each word
is a footprint filling up
with snow.

I was here, meaning
I am disappearing.


- Alison Benis White -

Alison Benis White: Light on the Page

"Chaos--confusion, bewilderment--these are things I'm always working against and within as a writer. Frost famously argued that a poem is a "temporary stay against confusion"--and by "stay," within the context of 'The Figure a Poem Makes,' he means clarification--a temporary clarification of life. This resonates with me, although I don't know if I agree with the certainty of his claim. I think poems are definitely an attempt at a stay, a reach toward clarity or revelation. My experience is that these brief moments of (almost) order and light on the page dissolve fairly quickly into bewilderment again, which brings me back to the page to try (and fail) again. I like the idea, as you put it, of poets of chaos--I'm certainly a child of chaos, since my mother disappeared when I was so young, so I can't imagine being any other kind of poet." Alison Benis White's body of work explores with precision and delicacy the enigmatic terrain of memory, grief, language and identity. This insightful interview shares more. { read more }

Be The Change

Check out White's powerful poem, "Description of Symptoms," here. { more }


COMMENT | RATE      Email   Twitter   FaceBook

  Related Good News

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

The Egg: A Short Story By Andy Weir

Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention

Consciousness as the Ground of Being

The Really Terrible Orchestra

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

ThanksBeing with Rumi

17 Things I Would Do Differently

Robert Lax: A Life Slowly Lived

Atlas of the Heart


DailyGood is a volunteer-run initiative that delivers "good news" to 155,950 subscribers. There are many ways to help. To unsubscribe, click here.


Other ServiceSpace projects include:

KindSpring  //  KarmaTube  //  Conversations  //  Awakin  //  More

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whistling in the Wind: Preserving a Language Without Words