Make Good Art

You're receiving this email because you are a DailyGood subscriber.
Trouble Viewing? On a mobile? Just click here. Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe.

DailyGood News That Inspires

May 21, 2023

a project of ServiceSpace

Make Good Art

I've never known anyone who was what he or she seemed; or at least, was only what he or she seemed. People carry worlds within them.

- Neil Gaiman -

Make Good Art

"I escaped from school as soon as I could, when the prospect of four more years of enforced learning before I'd become the writer I wanted to be was stifling. I got out into the world, I wrote, and I became a better writer the more I wrote, and I wrote some more, and nobody ever seemed to mind that I was making it up as I went along, they just read what I wrote and they paid for it, or they didn't, and often they commissioned me to write something else for them. Which has left me with a healthy respect and fondness for higher education that those of my friends and family, who attended Universities, were cured of long ago. Looking back, I've had a remarkable ride. I'm not sure I can call it a career, because a career implies that I had some kind of career plan, and I never did. The nearest thing I had was a list I made when I was 15 of everything I wanted to do: to write an adult novel, a children's book, a comic, a movie, record an audiobook, write an episode of Doctor Who... and so on. I didn't have a career. I just did the next thing on the list. So I thought I'd tell you everything I wish I'd known starting out, and a few things that, looking back on it, I suppose that I did know. And that I would also give you the best piece of advice I'd ever got, which I completely failed to follow..." Neil Gaiman shares more in this 2012 commencement speech at the University of the Arts. { read more }

Be The Change

For more check out this lovely reading featured on The Marginalian, "Neil Gaiman Reads Ursula K. Le Guin's Ode to Timelessness to His 100-Year-Old Cousin." { more }


COMMENT | RATE      Email   Twitter   FaceBook

  Related Good News

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

Words Can Change Your Brain

Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention

The Egg: A Short Story By Andy Weir

The Really Terrible Orchestra

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

ThanksBeing with Rumi

Death Doulas Provide End of Life Aid

Paul Farmer: A Life Dedicated to Healing the World

Darkness Rising


DailyGood is a volunteer-run initiative that delivers "good news" to 157,261 subscribers. There are many ways to help. To unsubscribe, click here.


Other ServiceSpace projects include:

KindSpring  //  KarmaTube  //  Conversations  //  Awakin  //  More

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whistling in the Wind: Preserving a Language Without Words