Among the Trees

You're receiving this email because you are a DailyGood subscriber.
Trouble Viewing? On a mobile? Just click here. Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe.

DailyGood News That Inspires

May 16, 2023

a project of ServiceSpace

Among the Trees

Some trees are compasses, and some are flags. If a flag tells you where you are, a compass can potentially tell you how to get there or how to find someplace else.

- Carl Phillips -

Among the Trees

"Ive had a love of trees all my life. Throughout high school, I lived in a house in the woods in Massachusetts, and even on the darker mornings of winter what kept me from being frightened was the trees themselvesmostly scrub pines, as we called them there, with struggling oaks scattered among them. Unlike the kids at school, the trees remained silent as I passed, and I took this as a sign of acceptance. Irrational, surebut in my feeling so unlike everyone else at school, in my confused wrestling with what I felt was real but I couldnt name precisely, why not take silence for acceptance? Among the trees loneliness could be itself, in the openso could strangenesseven as both remained hidden from the rest of the world for the time it took me to pass through the woods to the bus stop. As I walked, Id sing to the trees, loudly at first, then more and more softly the closer I got to where the woods gave out, until all I could hear was whatever wind there was through the leaves and needles. A sound like the trees unable to sing back, but trying to."In this extended meditation on the relationship between place and intimacy, the body and the word, Carl Phillips walks among trees to explore what can and cannot be known. { read more }

Be The Change

For more inspiration, check out this essay by David George Haskell, "Eleven Ways of Smelling a Tree." { more }


COMMENT | RATE      Email   Twitter   FaceBook

  Related Good News

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

Seven Lessons Learned from Leaves

Thich Nhat Hanh: Ten Love Letters to the Earth

Peace Is Every Step: Thich Nhat Hanh's 95 Year Earthwalk

Consciousness as the Ground of Being

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

The Really Terrible Orchestra

17 Things I Would Do Differently

Paul Farmer: A Life Dedicated to Healing the World

10 Life-Changing Perspectives On Anger


DailyGood is a volunteer-run initiative that delivers "good news" to 157,364 subscribers. There are many ways to help. To unsubscribe, click here.


Other ServiceSpace projects include:

KindSpring  //  KarmaTube  //  Conversations  //  Awakin  //  More

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whistling in the Wind: Preserving a Language Without Words