A Prickly Pear History Lesson

You're receiving this email because you are a DailyGood subscriber.
Trouble Viewing? On a mobile? Just click here. Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe.

DailyGood News That Inspires

July 11, 2023

a project of ServiceSpace

A Prickly Pear History Lesson

In some Native languages the term for plants translates to "those who take care of us."

- Robin Wall Kimmerer -

A Prickly Pear History Lesson

"Summer monsoons in the Southwestern Sonoran Desert produce a wild bounty of crimson fruit. Rising from Engelmann's prickly pear cacti (Opuntia engelmannii), these fruits, or tuna in Spanish, perch atop Mickey Mouse-shaped pads like ruby crowns. Against muted browns and greens of the desert, the tuna are eye-popping. When I landed in Tucson for graduate school more than thirty years ago, I was amazed to learn the spine-covered fruits were edible. I sent store-bought prickly pear jelly back home to midwestern friends for the holidays, its dazzling pink hue a cheeky reminder of the deserts December sunshine. I knew, though, that with enough determination, I could put up my own preserves from foraged fruit just as my Kansas grandmother had canned foods from her garden. When I realized I wasn't moving after a decade of desert living, I decided to see if harvesting prickly pear fruit could connect me to the native foodways of my adopted home." More in this essay by Lisa K. Harris. { read more }

Be The Change

Reflect on a plant or tree that connects you to the place you grew up in. What does it signify to you?


COMMENT | RATE      Email   Twitter   FaceBook

  Related Good News

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

The Egg: A Short Story By Andy Weir

Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention

Consciousness as the Ground of Being

'New Day's Lyric': Amanda Gorman

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

Paul Farmer: A Life Dedicated to Healing the World

Robert Lax: A Life Slowly Lived

Catching Sight of Yourself

Retriever of Souls


DailyGood is a volunteer-run initiative that delivers "good news" to 156,282 subscribers. There are many ways to help. To unsubscribe, click here.


Other ServiceSpace projects include:

KindSpring  //  KarmaTube  //  Conversations  //  Awakin  //  More

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whistling in the Wind: Preserving a Language Without Words