Leaf Seligman: On Redemption and Beautiful Scars

You're receiving this email because you are a DailyGood subscriber.
Trouble Viewing? On a mobile? Just click here. Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe.

DailyGood News That Inspires

July 4, 2021

a project of ServiceSpace

Leaf Seligman: On Redemption and Beautiful Scars

It is only in an uncondemned state that any of us can change.

- Leaf Seligman -

Leaf Seligman: On Redemption and Beautiful Scars

"As humans, we inevitably experience harm: we feel hurt, we get hurt, and we hurt others. We free ourselves from this experience not by imagining we can escape harm but knowing we can heal it--moving from wound to scar--and then learning to love the scars. This can, of course, be the work of a lifetime. Luckily, I have long loved scars. When I was four, I accidentally cut my left eye. As a result, a small scar formed directly under my eye and inside the eye, where the pupil stayed dilated with a keyhole in it. After I had the eye removed at twenty-one, a photographer I knew told me she wanted to record people's scars, so I asked her to photograph me with my empty socket. It may be that at twenty-one I looked youthful, even radiant, but that one-eyed image of myself is my favorite photo; in fact it's the only picture of myself where the subject feels beautiful." Author, educator, and restorative justice practitioner Leah Seligman shares more in this powerful piece. { read more }

Be The Change

Join a special circle with Leaf Seligman this upcoming Wednesday, July 7th: The Magnificent Broken- Redemptive Healing Through Words. More details and RSVP info here. { more }


COMMENT | RATE      Email   Twitter   FaceBook

  Related Good News

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

111 Trees

Guide to Well-Being During Coronavirus

On Being Alone

Orion's 25 Most-Read Articles of the Decade

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

How to Strengthen Your Inner Shield

Bye Bye Plastic Bags

Two Words That Can Change a Life

Beyond Overwhelm into Refuge


DailyGood is a volunteer-run initiative that delivers "good news" to 243,847 subscribers. There are many ways to help. To unsubscribe, click here.


Other ServiceSpace projects include:

KindSpring  //  KarmaTube  //  Conversations  //  Awakin  //  More

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whistling in the Wind: Preserving a Language Without Words