Ron Nakasone & the Art of Sho

You're receiving this email because you are a DailyGood subscriber.
Trouble Viewing? On a mobile? Just click here. Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe.

DailyGood News That Inspires

February 22, 2017

a project of ServiceSpace

Ron Nakasone & the Art of Sho

The best art, I would say, is to give form to more sublime instincts or sublime states of mind. So, we give form to our spiritual condition, our spiritual state. This is what it means to give form to the formless.

- Ron Nakasone -

Ron Nakasone & the Art of Sho

"There are still things I don't understand about the brush; I know that when I practice. I know what kind of lines I want. The lines have to be ones with great integrity, a great rationality; and also ones that are visually appealing, because the role of an artist, of course, is to communicate. Hopefully my sho, my calligraphy, will get better and more mature as I get older. I remember when I first began to study with Morita he and I were talking -- and he says to me, 'You know, I'm looking forward to growing old.' I was kind of befuddled by this. I was only about twenty-six. I thought, 'What is this old man talking about?' So I asked him, "Why?" very incredulously. And he said, 'Well, I want to see how my art will grow and how it will change.'" Scholar, priest and master calligrapher Ron Nakasone shares more in this thoughtful interview. { read more }

Be The Change

Turn one of your routines into a contemplative practice -- walking, eating, writing. For more inspiration, watch this short film made by a filmmaker who spent four months observing Nakasone at work. { more }


COMMENT | RATE      Email   Twitter   FaceBook

  Related Good News

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

The Science of Forgiveness

The Benefits of Learning to Be Kind to Yourself

The Dogs that Protect Little Penguins

Our Shortened Attention Span & 3 Ways To Stay Focused

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

19 Uplifting Photos That Capture The Human Spirit

10 Timeframes For Measuring Life

Seven Ways to Help High Schoolers Find Purpose

How Nature Resets Our Minds and Bodies


DailyGood is a volunteer-run initiative that delivers "good news" to 242,921 subscribers. There are many ways to help. To unsubscribe, click here.


Other ServiceSpace projects include:

KindSpring  //  KarmaTube  //  Conversations  //  Awakin  //  More

Comments

Popular posts from this blog