The Magic Flute

You're receiving this email because you are a DailyGood subscriber.
Trouble Viewing? On a mobile? Just click here. Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe.

DailyGood News That Inspires

August 7, 2016

a project of ServiceSpace

The Magic Flute

The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.

- Emile Zola -

The Magic Flute

A pawnshop flute. That's how Marvin Sanders makes art out of uncertainty. From living on the streets to graduating college with a degree in music, Sanders recalls his incredible journey. And how it all started at a gas station: "I was in Denver, Colorado working at a gas station. Those were the days people would pull up and someone would walk out and pump your gas and wipe the windshield. I was working there in 1971-71 and, strangely, my mother--I was talking with her over the phone--she asked, "What do you want for Christmas?" [laughs]I mean, I'm twenty years old! I said, off the top of my head, "How about a flute?" She bought me a pawnshop flute. I visited her for Christmas and she gave it to me. Half the keys didn't even work, but I didn't know the difference. I took it back to Denver with me. I was working ten hours a day, six days a week then. But you know, at nineteen, twenty years old, you have all kinds of energy. I had a natural aptitude for it. I enjoyed playing it. That's how I started." { read more }

Be The Change

Don't overlook ways to put your talents to work, even if they seem humble.


COMMENT | RATE      Email   Twitter   FaceBook

  Related Good News

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

Stunning Images of the Power of Education

Can You Teach People to Have Empathy?

How To Retrain Your Brain With Three Words

7 Ways To Change Negative Beliefs About Yourself

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

Our Shortened Attention Span & 3 Ways To Stay Focused

The Top 10 Happiest Countries

Ten Ways to Set A Positive Tone For the New Year

The Benefits of Learning to Be Kind to Yourself


DailyGood is a volunteer-run initiative that delivers "good news" to 240,067 subscribers. There are many ways to help. To unsubscribe, click here.


Other ServiceSpace projects include:

KindSpring  //  KarmaTube  //  Conversations  //  Awakin  //  More

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whistling in the Wind: Preserving a Language Without Words